After a two-week hiatus, the Friday round-up returns, full of health promoting, sulfur-containing phytonutrients.
- It’s echoes of Minneapolis’ Fresh Starts as St Paul Public Schools restructures Arlington High, and Humboldt Junior and Senior High Schools — 46 re-assigned teachers say they were imperiously re-assigned, and want more input. The three schools have persistentnly failed to meet Federal student performance benchmarks under the No Child Left Behind law, which mandates their restructuring. (Pioneer Press, 2/18/09)
- The Stimulus floods the federal Dept. of Ed with money. ”What’s this strange stuff?” they ask. (NYTimes, 2/16/09)
…Amy Wilkins, who as vice president at the Education Trust, a civil rights group, has studied the budgets of several of Mr. Duncan’s predecessors. “Margaret [Spellings, the previous Secretary of Education] was looking for quarters in her pencil drawer.”
- Obama and Duncan want the stimulus to “transform the Federal role in education” (AP, 2/17/09)
- “The budget boondoggle” at the U of M, MnSCU (MN Daily, 2/18/09)
- Why Americans love peanut butter. (Slate, 2/9/09)